Whether you're treating Mom to an overnight stay in Harvard Square or just popping in for the day, there is no better place to create new memories. Here are a few ideas for how to spend the perfect Mother's Day in Cambridge:
- Make Mom one of the lucky audience members to catch the American Repertory Theater's newest production: Jagged Little Pill. Another Diane Paulus creation, this musical is inspired by Alanis Morissette's Grammy-Award winning album of the same name.
- While spending a day in a cemetery may seem morose, Mt. Auburn Cemetery is no ordinary burial ground. Mt. Auburn is the first rural cemetery in the U.S., designed with a rolling landscaped terrain instead of the typical rows of headstones you find in Colonial-era burying grounds. Many notable families are buried among the 174 acres filled with winding paths, peaceful lakes and views of the Boston skyline.
- For guests at the hotel, rent our complimentary bicycles for the day. Memorial Drive is shut down on Sundays from 11am-7pm, taking away the stress of dodging vehicles. Take a spin along the river or head farther into Cambridge to check out the unique neighborhoods that make up the area, such as Central Square and Porter Square.
- If you're looking for some indoor activities, a must-see stop is the Harvard Museum of Natural History and their glass flowers. Created by glass artisans Leopold and Rudolf Blaschka, the Ware Collection of Blaschka Glass Models of Plants includes over 4,000 models. Just don't try picking a bouquet for Mom...
- Start out the day with a hearty brunch buffet at Henrietta's Table. From 12-3pm take your pick of the raw bar with fresh oysters and shrimp; made-to-order omelets and waffles; an entire table of delectable desserts; the carved meat of the day and much more. It should leave everyone happy and full - no dishes or cooking for anyone!
- Looking for dinner plans? Benedetto rolls out fresh pasta every single day, and their pastry chef works up magic in the form of dessert. Treat Mom to an enchanted Italian evening!
- Looking for a gift that will change a life? Furnishing Hope of Massachusetts helps a mother and her family transition from a homeless or domestic violence shelter with the home goods and furniture they need. Your donations in honor of Mother's Day can help. For all gift donations received by Saturday May 12, they will send a personal Mother's Day message to your mother (or any other honoree you wish) to let her know about your thoughtful gift. Visit http://furnishinghopema.org/ to learn more and make a difference today.